Wednesday, July 09, 2008

History lesson-Happy Birthday Québec

hey there kids,

So, I've said it before, and I'll say it again: I love history.

Now, I've taken quite a few history courses in my day, and I can say without any reservation-my all-time favourite "bit" of Canadian history is the battle at the Plains of Abraham.

This place was (and still is) literately just a field in the heart of Québec city, and within minutes became the setting for the greatest battle in Canadian history set on Canadian soil.

But, above all else, the greatest thing about the Plains of Abraham is that it's still there. It isn't just a series of dilapidated old buildings or a tourist trap.

It is as it always was: A boring, old field.

So, despite the fact that there aren't any red coats or blazing canons , you can still go and relive the battle that forever shaped Canada. You can see the jagged cliff the British climbed in order to defeat the French and just a hundred metres away, you can still see the fortified walls the French were protecting.

I love the plains. I love québec. And most of all, I love the fact that when you come to this seemingly insignificant field in the middle of nowhere, it all sinks in.

Those stories that you were told in grade 5 social studies aren't just stories any more.

This shit really happened.

And frankly, for a history nut, it doesn't get any better than that.....

later. -tara




No comments: